Restaurateur Judd Campbell is back and he has something new and different up his chef’s sleeves
Trust Judd Campbell to come up with something different for his new restaurant. Okay, so using shipping containers isn’t new. Look at what Freedom Cafe did with their containers.
But it is how Judd and his architect put the five containers together that makes it different. Quirky. And fun.
And it’s where he has located his restaurant that makes it something totally new and different.
Firstly the containers have been piled on top of each other. One is upright, like a tower. Might even be a scoreboard says Judd.
Secondly the school is in the grounds of Glenwood Preparatory School in Bulwer road and overlooks the playing fields. Hence the scoreboard idea.
All of this is probably what inspired his restaurant’s name, The Prep Room. Clever actually.
Judd plans to open the restaurant in mid-May. Judd and I spent some time on April 7 looking at the building site of the budding restaurant. As is his wont, Judd was almost jumping up and down in excitement as he showed me around, pointing out where everything would go. That’s what makes Judd so likeable, His incredible enthusiasm for new ideas and projects. And his commitment to the environment
Look what he did with Corner Cafe, turning it into an eatery which truly epitomised the meaning of cafe society. Remember his gadget for taking water from the air? His worms. All those herbs. Much of which ended up in his food.
Much of this he will duplicate in the Prep Room.
Apart from the tower, the top container will accommodate another tenant – Judd is still finalising details.
The bottom section will house the restaurant. Part of it will remain behind the glassed area – such as the kitchen, bar, an office and the toilets – while the seating area will have a roof but no sides. Tenting is being looked at to add cover.
Herbs and trees in large containers will be used to break down the space and create some intimacy.
None of this is written in stone, of course, as things could change as demands evolve.
The menu will cater for vegetarians, Banters and those who are gluten or sugar intolerant. Not vegans, though says Judd. But there will also enough to please the hedonists.
The menu will include breakfast and lunch options. There will be eight options under the heading Salubrious, and eight under Hedonistic. A Decadent section will offer desserts, including a gluten-free carrot cake and some sugar-free options.
The restaurant will operate from 8am to 5m weekdays and 8am to 3pm Saturdays. Closed Sundays.
Entrance will be from the back of the school. It will have a separate entrance from the school.
Below is a taste of the new menu, but again, items could change.
PREP ROOM MENU
Salubrious ( adjective,meaning health giving, healthy)
- Avo, Bacon and cream cheese. A whole natal avo stuffed with cream cheese, topped with butter, bacon and fresh rocket.
- Benedict. Free-range poached eggs, on streaky bacon, chargrilled brinjal slices and topped with hollandaise and chives.
- Dippy eggs. Eggs boiled to your liking and slices of Banting toast with marmite.
- Wild mushrooms on toast. A creamy mix of mushrooms on gluten free toast.
- Fish and chips. Coconut oil pan fried hake with grilled Parmesan baby marrow.
- Chicken and mayo. Triple decker club. Roast chicken, crispy bacon, lemon mayo and basil.
- Prawn and mango. Prawns grilled in dill and lemon, on a mango and red onion salsa.
- Tart and salad. Crustless seasonal veg tartlet with a tomato, mozzarella & basil
- Caprese salad.
Hedonistic (noun, meaning – pursuit of pleasure.
- The fry up. Think mushroom, tomatoes, refried beans, bacon, pork banger, fried eggs and Adam’s bread (Glenwood Bakery)
- Breakfast bun. Sliced natal avo, creamy scrambled eggs and a dollop of chorizo jam.
- Dippy eggs. Free range eggs boiled to your liking and served with marmite soldiers.
- Strawberry cheese cake stuffed French toast. 100% addictive.
- Steak & fries – 250g sirloin rolled in black pepper, grilled medium over an open flame, served with a brandy and horseradish sauce and skinny fries.
- Pork & halloumi – roasted pork belly, grilled halloumi, red onion marmalade, served on Adam’s potato and rosemary bread.
- Chicken & rice. Sticky roasted Thai chicken on gai lan and basmati.
- Camembert and chutney – Adams 40% rye with wedges of Camembert and our homemade tomato chutney.
Decadence (noun meaning luxurious self indulgent)
- Carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting. (GF)
- Baked Cheese cake with a mixed berry coulis (GF)
- Fairy cakes.
- Jordan’s marvelous sponge love cake
- Milk shakes – change weekly